Vegan Snacks – Nuts about nuts!
Looking for some healthy vegan snacks? We have the answer for you! At Chandra Foods we LOVE nuts! From almonds to walnuts, they’re always our go-to-snack. It’s easy to grab a handful and nibble away whilst on the move. Our drivers take them out on the road, and the big boss always has a bowl full on his desk too.
The thing is, there’s quite a lot to like about nuts:
- According to nutritionists, nuts are excellent vegan snacks. Although we know we shouldn’t, we always end up snacking on the go. So, why not reach for a healthier option? With our lovely nuts, you can have a cheeky nibble to keep you satisfied throughout the day, without reaching for your favourite sugary treat.
- Even MORE good news; research shows that almonds are great for weight loss. Several studies found that even when calorie counts are the same, diets which included almonds seemed to help people shed a few extra pounds. So, if you’re on a weight loss journey, tuck into some of our scrummy almonds at snack time.
- If you’re worried about omega-3’s, walnuts are the way to go! Walnuts are one of the few non-fish sources for omega-3. They contain alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that is similar to one found in salmon and herring. That makes walnuts the perfect natural alternative for those vital omega-3s. Our personal favourite is whipping up a gorgeous salad and throwing on some extra walnuts… yum!
- Want to keep that youthful looking complexion? Pecan nuts help to maintain a clear complexion… added bonus, they also help to prevent hair loss! #Winning!
- Feel like you’re forgetting something? It’s your dose of cashews! Cashew nuts improve memory recall; so hopefully you’ll never forget to pick up your healthy snacks again!
If you’re not convinced yet, let’s not forget that they’re also great sources of much needed vitamins and minerals to keep our bodies healthy.
However, there could be days when you feel like you want to pimp up your nuts. Maybe you’re vegan snacks at a party, or, maybe you just fancy a bit of a treat with your favourite savoury snack.
This is your chance to get a little creative at home with some natural nuts (from Chandra Foods of course) and really show off your kitchen skills, impress your loved ones…and it’s all as easy as opening a pre-prepared pack from the shops.
Here’s our simple solution to jazzing up your nuts
Roasting nuts in the oven gives a stronger flavour. See, we told you it would be simple.
That’s tip number one to add some oomph to your nuts.
Although, we have a little recipe below which is just top notch! This is the one where you will really impress your friends and family,
Sweet and spicy nuts (aka Nuts with a hint of sass!)
Prep time: 5 Mins | Cooking Time: 15 Mins | Total Time: 20 Mins
Note; you can pretty much use any kind of plain nut for this recipe, the ones we used are just some of our favourites!
½ cup hazelnuts
½ cup almonds
½ cup pecan nuts
½ cup walnuts
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon chilli pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cloves
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
1 ½ tablespoons melted grapeseed oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F)
- In a large bowl toss together all the nuts to evenly mix, then spread them out on a large baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the spices, sugar, salt and grapeseed oil
- Grab the now toasted nuts and add to the bowl of spices, toss well to evenly coat with that delicious mixture
- Transfer the coated nuts to a baking sheet, (you can use the sheet from earlier) and spread into a single layer
- Bake for a further 5 minutes allowing the mixture to stick to the toasted nuts. Keep an eye to ensure the nuts do not burn.
- Allow to cool before serving
There you have it, a simple way to pimp up your nuts!
You know, you could even put these in a pretty little box or a cellophane bag as a mini gift option! We’re just full of ideas!
Order your plain nuts here so you can start getting creative with spices and flavours at home.
Do you have any other ideas of how to add flavour to plain nuts?